Cheesy Friday



And there came along the dry, hot & sweaty Friday. With the temperature soaring up in Ahmedabad and a crazy summer May week, it was on a Friday noon when I thought of easy cooking. Accept it; kitchen in summer season is the hottest area in a house. The one facing the gas bears the brunt of the stove & atmospheric heat. For a pleasant change, Mr. S was home as well. Generally when he is not around it is easy for me to decide on dinner menu. But that day, it was different because he got his much deserved break after 3 long years. I had been religiously cooking the usual roti sabzi dinner & hence I wanted to change the evening with some good stuff to eat. And with Mr. S around, I really feel like stirring up something crazy.

When confused, always Google. But for the same, I ought to have some key words to look up for something. I thought of Chinese initially, but then it was instantly rejected, by me. The frequent call ins and the restaurant visits makes me feel like I've had it all, at least when it comes to Chinese food.

Then suddenly there was this instant american sit-com flashback. As a kid I wasn't that exposed to an American or English eating trend. All I used to see was a scoop full of mashed potatoes, some veggies and sausages. I wasn't sure if it would be edible until I had it myself and that was it! I wanted to cook some mashed potatoes with sausages and veggies. I had never made it & I wanted it to be perfect.

After extensive surfing I froze on mashed potatoes with cheesy oregano sauce & sausages with onion & tomatoes. I did a bit of my combination for the mashed potatoes. But they came out the way I wanted them to. Creamy,soft & cheesy. Here is the recipe.

http://www.tarladalal.com/Cheesy-Oregano-Dip-34025r (this is the link for the cheesy oregano sauce, I did some modifications so here is my recipe)

Ingredients
Cheese cubes (quantity depends on how cheesy you want it)
1 cup milk
1 tbsp garlic powder (i used the new "khushi garlic bread powder")
1/2 tbsp dried oregano
1 tbsp butter
salt & pepper to taste
500 gms potatoes

Method
Boil potatoes, mash once cool & sprinkle some salt & pepper. Keep aside.
Heat the pan,melt butter adding oregano & garlic powder.
Now add grated cheese cubes and milk together and stir well.
Add salt and cook till the batter is thick and no lumps are left.
Add the boiled potatoes, mix & it's ready!

Now, the sausages. I found the recipe from some Australian website. It had the mashed potato recipe too, but I ignored it because I was already in love with that big white,cheesy dollop of creamy potatoes. The link to the original recipe is below, and even below is my modified version, yet again :)


Ingredients
3 chicken vienna sausages (available at Magson stores)
garlic powder (the same used for mashed potatoes)
1 onion,thinly sliced
4 tomatoes (boil them,take off the skin & chop roughly)
1 tsp dried oregano leaves
Salt & ground black pepper, to taste
butter
Tomato chilly sauce

Method
Heat pan,cook the sausages, turning often, until browned. Sprinkle some salt,pepper with the tomato chilly sauce. Keep aside.
In the same pan, add butter,garlic powder and onions. Cook until onions are tender. Stir in the tomatoes, oregano, salt and pepper.
Return the sausages to the pan, cover and simmer over medium- low heat for 6-7 minutes.

Both of us kept visiting the kitchen until dinner time for some or the other silly reason. Our motive was clear. The mashed potatoes :D 

We, specially me, could not wait for dinner. I must have had asked 20 times if we could go ahead and have dinner. I wanted to hog, but at the same time I was anxious to know how Mr. S liked it.

Probably for the first time, we weren't bothered about what the TV was blurting away. We din't speak a word. We hogged & we hogged again. Unlike everyday, we weren't dead after dinner but we were full and satisfied after our angreji meal. Mr. S surely does owe me one for the cheesy Friday we had! 


Comments

Popular Posts